How Startup Recipes Became #1 Product of the Day on Product Hunt
We sat down with Yucel and Umut, co-founders of the Startup Recipes to learn the recipe for a successful Product Hunt launch.
- 1.How Teamble Became #1 Product of the Day on Product Hunt
- 2.How Pallo Became #1 Product of the Day on Product Hunt
- 3.How Startup Recipes Became #1 Product of the Day on Product Hunt
- 4.How Mason Became #1 Product of the Day on Product Hunt
- 5.Contra Had Multiple #1 Product of the Day Product Hunt Launches: Here’s How
- 6.How Amy Became the Usain Bolt of Meeting Preparation by Ranking #1 on Product Hunt
- 7.How NotionForms Ranked #1 On Product Hunt with a Little Help from Their Friends
- 8.The Secret Behind Insured Nomads’ #1 Product of the Day
- 9.How 100 Days of No Code Hacked Their Way to the Top of Product Hunt
- 10.Upvotes for Upgraded Spreadsheets: How Grist Became #1 Product of the Day on Product Hunt
- 11.How MenubarX Grew by 79,900% in One Day by Launching in Product Hunt
- 12.How Lili used Product Hunt to scale up and secure success with a #1 spot
- 13.How Kosy picked up over 1,000 new users by ranking first on Product Hunt
- 14.How Peak Culture used Product Hunt to kickstart its launch and to take on its first users
- 15.How Othership used Breathwork to reach the #1 spot on Product Hunt
- 16.How to Launch on Product Hunt: How 15 Founders Got Product of the Day￼
Yucel, the founder of Startup Recipes, first created a Product Hunt account to support a friend’s product launch. Back then, he didn’t know that he would launch his own #1 product of the day, #1 of the week, #4 of the month.
If you want to learn from these two Product Hunt experts what it takes for a successful launch, keep reading!
Yucel always wanted to have a startup and create a digital product. After the failure of more than three products, he decided to create something that would work on Product Hunt.
Startup Recipes is a landing page checklist tool for non-technical founders to create no-code products.
Yucel told us that he doesn’t have a technical background but always wanted to build tech products. He wanted to prove that you don’t need to code to build successful startups.
When it came to launching on Product Hunt, Yucel told us he didn’t expect much. He had no idea it would lead to getting attention from 3 different accelerators.
Yucel Faruk Sahan
“I had no expectations. The main goal was to decide which direction to take the product – whether it should be B2B or B2C”
As he mentioned, “we used our learnings from our previous Product Hunt launches to ensure we got the launch of Startup Recipes right.”
Yucel Faruk Sahan
You need to remember that the Product Hunt community should resonate with your product. If it doesn’t, it means nothing.
What strategies did you use for your pre-launch promotion?
You need to leverage your existing audience before launching on Product Hunt. If you don’t already have an audience, it’s difficult to launch cold straight to the platform.
Here are some things to consider when preparing for your Product Hunt launch:
- Consider using the Product Hunt promotion option
- Be sure the product you want to launch resonates with the community
- Market your launch on your existing platforms and blog posts
- Remember to give feedback to other people, too; it’s a two-way thing!
Other ideas for pre-launch promotion include promoting yourself on sites like Hacker News or relevant subreddits on Reddit.
You can’t just show up and start self-promoting, though. It’s crucial that you’re an active member of those communities before you start promoting yourself! You don’t want it to seem like you’re just there to spam info about your product.
Another excellent promotion technique is to build an email waitlist. Get your subscribers excited about your launch, send them emails and communicate what you’re planning.
Umut Ibrahim Sönmez
“We didn’t use any hunters. Using professional product hunters doesn’t necessarily positively affect the success of your product. ”
Of course, if someone popular hunts your product, you can get their follower’s attention via their email list and social media. However, using a hunter isn’t the defining factor in your product’s success.
Startup Recipes decided on an 11 am launch, but your timing depends on your timezone and where the majority of your audience is.
During the launch day, a lot of people will ask you questions and you need to be ready to reply to them all.
You need to be super active on launch day. Engage with the people who are upvoting you! Follow them, talk to them, tweet them.
Umut Ibrahim Sönmez
“On launch day, we Tweeted everything that was happening on Product Hunt.”
Leverage the use of your social platforms to get the launch in front of as many people as possible within your network.
The founders told us it was important to retweet, comment, like, be super active and engage with everyone who was reaching out to them on the day.
If you get into the top 3 products of the day, you can expect 3,000-4,000 visitors to your site within the first week.
If you launch a Saas product, the conversion rate isn’t necessarily high.
Umut Ibrahim Sönmez
“In the case of SaaS, you might need to use Product Hunt as a feedback solution rather than a sales technique.”
What mistakes can you avoid?
Umut explains that it’s vital to choose the right product if you want to launch on the platform. Give the users something for free to get some initial traction.
Your price point is also important – you need to be aware of price sensitivity. One great hack to manage this is to say that it costs X amount for the first 100 copies; after that, the price doubles.
Yucel adds that if you’re building a notion product, make sure all pages are private!
One of the biggest mistakes people make is trying to bring people from outside the community to upvote their products. Use the people already in the network who are interested and engaged.
The whole concept of Product Hunt is that you have access to an engaged and relevant community of other product lovers. You can’t just launch your product, expect to gain traction, and disappear.
Spend time getting to know others on the platform, research what others in your space are doing, and give back to others. Ask questions, upvote products you like, and be active. Be a helpful member of the community if you want to get noticed.